Student Support Services (SSS) is a TRiO support program designed to maximize academic performance for UNCG students who are first-generation college students, from modest income backgrounds, or who have a documented disability registered with OARS, and who also demonstrate academic need for services. Our TRiO program has been in place since 1970 and is one of the longest running in the nation!
Services provided through SSS include:
- Individual instruction in and development of academic skills
- Personalized academic counseling, financial aid literacy, graduate/professional school guidance, and career coaching
- One-on-one tutoring in up to two courses each semester
The Goals of SSS are to support participants through to college graduation and beyond, and to help students make the transition from one level of education to the next.
Want to join SSS?
We accept approximately 210 students each year to become SSS members. You MUST apply to our program and receive confirmation of acceptance to take advantage of services in SSS.
To qualify for SSS, you must:
- be a first-generation college student (neither parent has a 4-year college degree)
- come from a modest or low-income family (based on prior year’s tax information)
- OR, meet the income requirement and be currently registered with UNCG’s Office of Accessibility Resources and Services (OARS)
You must also have an academic need for assistance, which is based on criteria including:
- SAT or ACT entrance scores
- GPA (high school, transfer, or previous semester at UNCG)
Returning SSS StudentsReturning Application
New SSS ApplicationNew Application