As a member of Student Support Services, you can take advantage of the Academic Skills component to improve what you do both in and out of the classroom. We utilize various assessments to determine your personal strengths and challenges as a student. Academic Skills specialists are on hand to interpret assessment results and work one-on-one with you to develop skills and produce effective results.
Many students seek advice and assistance with:
- Budgeting their time
- Improving listening and note taking skills
- Increasing reading comprehension
- Developing more effective study techniques for all types of course material
- Preparing for tests and overcoming test anxiety
- Developing writing skills and research proficiency
- Preparing for graduate/professional school applications and tests (GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, NCLEX, and PRAXIS II)
To begin improving your skills through individualized sessions, apply to become a member of SSS by filling out the SSS New Student Application OR if you are a returning SSS student, click here to submit a new request.
SSS Learning Lab
We maintain various academic resources for student use, including reference books, study strategy handouts, and interactive learning software. There are multiple computers and a duplex printer available. Printing is free; just bring your own paper. The lab provides a quiet place to study and get your work done.
Location: Forney Student Success Commons, Room 113
Lab Hours: Regular Semester: Monday – Friday, 9 am-5 pm